It’s been a while since I’ve read a book worth talking about-strike that--its been a while since I’ve read a book. (unless you count the books I obsessively re-read--don’t laugh mom.)
I’ve taken a strike on reading for reasons both personal and silly. But my recent trip to Pennsylvania compelled me to pick up a new book. (Or in reality, download an Audiobook to my Ipod. . .I mean, who can read a book with a two year old on their lap? Not me)
So...enter a new book to my life:
The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins.

In the ashes of North America rises a new country: Panem. Oppressive and cruel, the Capital is determined to keep the twelve districts under control. The districts are strictly ruled, their food and supplies limited often causing poverty and starvation to most it’s citizens. But the one way they keep tight control is the Hunger Games.
Twenty-four teenagers, a boy and a girl from each district are chosen and offered up as tributes to the games. They are thrown into an arena, designed specifically to test and torment the players. Harsh terrain and unforgiving land test their skills of survival, wild beasts threaten them each moment. But the biggest danger they face: each-other. All of this while the rest of the country is forced to watch it live on television.
The tributes are given a single goal: get out alive. The only problem is that only one person can. The tributes must both escape danger, and kill the other players in order to win.
Katniss Everdeen is a 16 year old girl who, in protecting her younger sister, offers herself as tribute for the twelfth district. She must enter the Hunger Games and fight for her life. Although strong and skilled, Katnis faces dangers that test her every strength, emotion, and will power.
I really enjoyed the Hunger Games, and found it hard to turn my Ipod off. The world that Suzzane Collins created was tangible to me, with people who are desensitized to violence, obsessed with the mundane selfishness of their lives, and unconcerned with the misfortune of others.
Although Katnis has to trust in others in order to stay alive, the very nature of the games had me wondering who was truly a friend, and who would stab her in the back (literally).
I enjoyed the characters in the story, especially Katnis. She is strong, smart and determined. Although I understood why she was so closed off and hard, I would have related to her more if I could have seen her hard wall break down, if only for a moment. After all she goes through, sees and does, I would have related to her more if she would have reacted like I would have (break down and sob like a baby)
Peeta is another character I really rooted for. He is sweet and kind, yet surprising. I felt bad for him as he was tormented by all the things the games threw at him, especially the emotional blows.
Suzanne did a great job of working her characters out of sticky situations I wouldn’t have thought they could have avoided, and although I was grateful they did, I was almost disappointed. I had a morbid curiosity and was interested to see how the characters would deal with the worst of all circumstances.
Overall, I was really pleased with this book. The world is twisted and dark, but there is some light, if it is only the faint light that shines from within.
I would recommend this to anyone looking for a good read, and I’m excited for the sequel to come out this fall!!
4 comments:
I guess I really should read it! I found out that Jeremy's mom is reading it also, so it must be good because she doesn't seem to read a lot of fiction.
Hunger Games sounds a lot like the Mistborn books to me (or maybe that's just because I have been sucked into the books for the past month or so). In Mistborn, the society is very tightly controlled also - and divided into Nobility and Slaves. Basically, the slaves have to revolt and find a way to free themselves while learning to trust, lead, and work together. It is very intriguing to me. I'm hooked.
What a review! I wish I would have had it as an example when I taught my fifth graders how to write a book review. You should post it on amazon.
Very interesting. I might have to check it out! (literally). You have to read at least one book during the summer, eh?
ohhhhhhhh I am excited to read this! I am always up for a good read. Hope they have it for my kindle, I am looking right now! THANKS!!
Post a Comment