Wednesday, March 30, 2011

I did it.

I didn’t like it, but I did. I signed up.


Grief. Therapy.


I didn’t want to. No. I REALLY didn’t want to.

I’m supposed to sit around in a circle and say “Hi, my name is Tahsha and I’m a widow? Then talk about my feelings to a bunch of strangers? bleck. No thanks.


I did it for Leah. She gets to go to her own class where they sing songs, color, and play. She’ll be with other four year olds who have had parents or siblings die.

I’m hoping that I’ll have people I can turn to to help me understand her and what I need to do for her.


What am I supposed to do when she sticks her hands on her hips and tells me “I’m not sad about Daddy. I don’t miss him.” What the freak am I supposed to do with that? What am I supposed to do when she asks me, “Am I supposed to be sad about Daddy? Am I supposed to miss him?” Poor little girl. She’s so confused. She doesn’t quite know how she feels. She knows she isn’t crying a lot like me or Grandma. So I think she interprets that as to: “I guess I’m not sad.” I just don’t know how to approach it. I want to help her. I don’t want to say or do things that will make it worse.


So, I’m hoping that by going to this center, it will help her and help me learn how to help her.


And, I guess, somewhere deep down I know that this will be a good thing for me too.


But right now, I really don’t want to go.

10 comments:

Jessica said...

I haven't heard much about greif counseling. I didn't realize it was a group thing. When is your first day?

Emily said...

Where is this place at? I think it is brave of you to to it. Give it a try and if you don't feel it's the right fit for you or Leah then you'll know you checked it out. I hope it is a good thing. I'm sure you'll meet people there who will be a big strength to you. Maybe this is getting old to say but I still pray everyday for you and Leah. I love you both!

Leslie Francis said...

I hope it will be worthwhile for you and Leah. It must be confusing because you have given her such a strong foundation in faith and she knows that Daddy is with Jesus. We will pray for you and Leah to have a good, positive experience with it. We love you both so much! Xo!

Becky Pearson said...

Good Job. I hope it works out for you two cuties. Sometimes I wonder how things would be now if I would have gotten professional help when dealing with my "loss".

Fords said...

You are such a good mommy! I hope that it provides some comfort and you can make lasting friendships with the people you meet. I'm sure it will be a comfort to talk to people who have been through it.

Heather Davies said...

That sounds like it could be a really good experience for you both. Good for you to sacrifice for Leah. Hope you both can find comfort in it.

The Plum Verbena said...

I am impressed that you took the initiative, even when you didn't want to. You are a great Mom to do it for Leah, and for you. Love you.

Andrea :) said...

Wise people seek counsel. You are wise.

~Maria said...

Tahsha,
There are so many positive things that will come from Grief Therapy. Hopefully they will teach you how children understand death and how to help you help Leah. I hope that one thing you will find out for you, is that the other members of the group can offer empathy- it is SO different from sympathy-they'll really know. I can understand you not wanting to go, but I am so glad that you are at least willing to go. I love you! Let me know if I can ever do anything for you. I'll keep you in my prayers! Hope all goes well.

Josh said...

Tahsha,

My deepest sympathy to you and your sweet Leah. I went to SFHS with Brad. He truly was a great person and had so many great qualities.

My sister lost her husband unexpectedly in an accident this past September. (6 months ago) Since his death, life has been a whirlwind. He left behind my darling little niece who will be four in October and a my little baby nephew who just turned one. Reading your blog I know my sister has felt every emotion you have expressed. I wanted to let you know you and Leah are not alone. I wanted to invite you to get to know my sister a little by reading her blog. She also loves to write but has not written on her blog since her husband passed. I have had a overwhelming feeling that I should give you my contact information and maybe when you feel up to it you could get together with my sister.

You are in my thoughts and prayers constantly.

Sincerely,

Amie (Eagar) Neves
contact me via email amie.josh@gmaildotcom and my sis blog coltonstaciej.blogspot.com