Sunday, March 6, 2011

Brad

This is hard.

I'm still struggling. How could I not? It all still feels so surreal, like Brad will walk in the door any minute. I'm grateful for the family and friends all around me. For all the help, phone calls, and messages. I really feel your love and prayers. Thank you. It means more to me than I could ever express.

I’ve been writing a lot the past few weeks. Most of it I’ll never share with anyone. It’s too personal. Too hard.

But there are somethings I’ve really been wanting to share with all of you. I’m not sure why. Maybe if you, who still have your loved ones with you, can understand a little of my mind set, it will help you make the most of your life. Maybe it will help someone. Maybe I’m just crazy. (I’m sure there’s part of that too.) It's taken me a while to compile all these thoughts into something comprehensible.

I know so many people have been touched by Brad’s life and the suddenness of his death. Friends, family, and sometimes strangers have told me that they’ve resolved to make some changes in their life because they’ve seen the way that Brad lived his.

I am one of those people.

These are some of the things that I’m determined to do differently because of Brad.

I will live every day as if it was my last, with no regrets.

Once glance at the amazing display of Brad’s life is enough to tell someone that Brad did this. I heard countless people say in amazement that Brad did and accomplished more in his short 28 years than most people do in a life time. I want to be like that.

I will not let the little things bother me.

Brad was so chill. It took a lot for things to get under his skin and even more for things to push him over the edge. He enjoyed life because he let the little things go.

I will work hard to accomplish my goals.

Brad had so many accomplishments. He was the hardest working person I’d ever met. When he set out to do something, he didn’t just do it, he mastered it.

I will try new things. I won’t be scared. I will seize every opportunity.

I always admired Brad’s excitement at new things and his ability to learn and master whatever he did. Seriously, Brad was good at EVERYTHING. He was the smartest person I’ve ever known. It used to drive me crazy, but then I decided that I have the best example and I was going to be like him.

I will make good connections with friends.

Brad was friends with everyone. He was easy going and comfortable to be around. He hardly had a bad word to say about people, and most didn’t have anything bad to say about him.

I won’t hold grudges.

Life is too short to be angry at people for stupid stuff. Sure, Brad had people in his life that he had to work harder to get along with, but he always tried. I’m confident that he went to Heaven without any grudges or anger at anyone.

I will live my life in accordance with God’s plan so I can live worthy to be with Brad again.

There are so many things I’m so grateful for. I’m grateful for the wonderful marriage we had.

I always tried to be the kind of wife that was supportive of Brad’s hobbies and his friends. I felt it was important. Brad was a happier man and a better husband when he could do those things. I tried so hard to be supportive of that, and he did the same thing for me.

But, men are men. As much as Brad wanted to be off playing every free second, he knew that being a good dad and husband meant finding a balance. He never resented me for the times when I asked him to be home on a weekend. I tried to tell him with kindness, but even times when I wasn’t so loving, he always listened to me. He knew that when I had to tell him that I needed him home, that I really needed him. He would drop everything, rearrange his schedule so he made sure that he was putting his family as a priority. Balance was something we worked on from day one. And Brad really understood how important that was to me. He was always trying, always listening and things always got better and better. His most important work was being a great husband, dad, and Priesthood holder. We had a great marriage because Brad put so much effort into it. I really tried to do the same. I hope that Brad would say that I did.

Brad was a family man. Leah and I were the most important things to him. I know that and I really believe that that makes Brad feel so good. Brad’s best friends are his brothers. (that includes his brother-in-laws) Most of everything he did included his brothers. We spent most of our free time with his family or my family or both. I’m so intensely grateful for the great relationship we’ve all had as a family. What a blessing it is for us to have no regrets with how we treated each other and acted as a family. I’m sure that Brad is so grateful for those relationships.

I’m grateful for the gospel. I don’t know where I would be without it. How could anyone ever survive the loss of a loved one without the knowledge of God and eternity? I really don’t know. Eternity is so real to me. So tangible. I’m so grateful for my knowledge. It’s the only thing that gets me through sometimes.

I echo my father in law when he said so many times that we have no regrets. Truly I don’t. But there are things that I would’ve done differently. These aren’t regrets, but some feelings that I share in hopes that you will do these things while you have the chance.

I wish that I’d taken more pictures of him doing things that he loved.

I wish I had been more active about doing the things he loved along with him.

Brad and I had some similar interests, but some very different interests as well. I should’ve gone hunting with him more. I should’ve learned to ride a horse better, and been more willing to go with him. I should’ve been better about making his passions and interests my passions and interests. Those times when I did go with him are memories I will forever cherish. I shot my first elk this year with Brad by my side. Sitting in the woods with Brad, just being in the mountains where he felt most comfortable is something I will always remember. He was so proud of me!

Brad and I never had big fights or times when our marriage really struggled, but like any couple, we didn’t always get along. Sometimes we argued. Some times he pissed me off. Sometimes I pissed him off.

We had our problems for sure, but we always worked them out. Brad refused to go to bed unless we had resolved our problems and could go to bed happy.

There are many times when Brad and I communicated well and worked things out. I’m proud of those times. But those moments when I was being pissy, stubborn, over-dramatic, or just plain hard to deal with, are stains across my otherwise happy memories. I wished I’d just let things go. Dropped my anger. Been less judgmental and more understanding. Please don’t hold on to the anger.

Wives: be attentive to your husbands. Know the weight that is on their shoulders. Be kind and loving when you need to talk about things that need to change. Help them be the best Dad’s and husbands they can be. Give them a break. Let them have interests and passions. Be interested in what they are interested. Let them teach you. Try to involve yourself.

Husbands: Listen to your wives. Pay attention when they are telling you what they need from you. Make sure they know by your actions that your family is your priority. Balance your life. Go play. Hang out with your friends. Pursue your interests and passions. Include you’re families in that. You will cherish your life if you can share the same passions with your family. But find a balance. Be with your wives. Take your kids out. Be an active part of their lives. Let your wives take a break and do the things they love.

Who cares if the dishes are done? Who cares if the house is clean? Life is so busy already without any added stress. Leave the messy house, leave all the crap you think you have to do. Go seize every opportunity you have. Even if it’s snuggling on the couch, or family movie night, or a Sunday drive. What are you going to remember?

I know you’re reading this thinking stuff like this can’t happen to you.

I never thought this could happen to me.

Life is short. Life is precious.

Life can change completely with one gust of wind.

What’s important to you? What matters? When people commemorate your life, what do you want them to say? Will you and your family be proud of the things they say about you and the way that you’ve lived your life?

I’m so proud of Brad. I’m proud of the way that he lived his life. I’m proud of the kind of husband, dad, brother, son and friend that he was. No one understands what amazing husband and Dad he was. I’m proud of his integrity, his honesty, his openness and friendliness with everyone. I’m proud of his hobbies. I’m proud of his work ethic and his responsibility. I’m proud of his devotion to the gospel.

I’m SO proud of Brad, and I know that Brad is proud of the way that he lived his life.

Brad is a big man in the Spanish Fork community. It used to bug me that no one really knew me for me, but rather for Brad, but know I think of that as the highest honor.

I am Brad Ford’s wife.

I couldn’t ask for a better title or a greater blessing from God.


27 comments:

Scott, Mandi and the boys said...

Tahsha, I can't imagine the strength and emotion that came with writing this. I cried, I laughed and I cried again. I just talked to Shannon tonight about living with no regrets. That is one thing that I loved about his funeral, is how often and how many people spoke of that. I want that peace. I'm not sure I could say I would have it. I feel like this was written to me, I'm sure others do to. But I think so many of us take life for granted and think we have to worry about the dishes or laundry. I need to find my balance. I'm still deeply saddened for your loss of Brad. Although I didn't know him, I know and can tell all that knew him loved HIM. Thanks so much for sharing this. I love you dearly friend and am always here if you ever need a shoulder to cry on or a friend to laugh with. Families are forever. xoxoxoxo

Tiffany said...

Thank you for writing this Tahsha. It was very well said and what we all need to hear.
We have been thinking about you a lot lately and how much we truly look up to you.
Love you!

Kristie said...

Tahsha, Thank You for sharing this with all of us. It has made me want to be better. You are an amazing example to all of us. I think about you everyday. We pray for you. My girls pray for Leah every night :).
We will continue to do so. We love you! Thanks again for sharing!

Heather Davies said...

Wow, Tahsha, this is such an amazing post. It really does help me put things into perspective. I really appreciate it. You're completely right, and I think I often get lost in the mundane.
I love how you shared your thoughts on Brad and your relationship. He was a great man and truly magnified all his responsibilities and relationships.
You are amazing for becoming a better person from what you've seen in Brad and your experiences together. You are an inspiration!

jina carter said...

Tahsha, thank you so much for sharing with us those perosnal thoughts and feelings about you and Brad. I have thought so much about you and your family for the past few weeks. You have inspired me to make amends with those who I may not get along with or to overcome the pride/stubborness/embarrassment I may have showing certian people, even family members, that I love them. Last year I had two grandparents pass away and when you said you would have taken more pictures, that was the very thought I had of them when I was putting collages together.

You are such an amazing person! I wish I could turn back time for you and take your pain away. I hope you and Leah find peace. I know we dont know each other very well, but you two are in my thoughts all the time. Thanks for sharing a piece of you.

Nana and Papa said...

Tahsha,

You are an amazing woman. I am so proud of who you have become.

Brad was all you said and more. If the roles were reversed, Brad would be expressing his love and adoration for you in similar ways.

We love Brad, We love you and Leah. We are anxious to all be together again. You have the promise of that and it is real. Our Father in Heaven does not make promises that he does not intend to keep.

Let's continue to live life as we have, (Maybe no more tragedy in the Henrys) and make the improvements that you suggest.

I love you with all the tenderness and feeling that a Father can.

Your one and only "Daddy"

Fords said...

You are amazing...seriously. Thank you for sharing this.....you and Leah are in our prayers every night.

-Elise

Becky Pearson said...

Thank you, Tahsh. Beautiful. Inspiring.

The Brownies said...

This post was awesome Tasha, thank you for sharing. I think about you every day and send you all the love in the world. Thats one thing everyone needs to work on is letting go, forgiving and forgetting. Be strong!

Shannan said...

Tahsha, wow, you just made me cry. You are such an amazing person and I just learned a ton from reading this post. Thanks so much for all your insites and advice. I have been thinking about you a lot and continually pray for your family. Brad was an amazing man and I am so glad that you had the honor and still have the honor to be married to that man. I love you and it is true without a doubt that you will be with him forever and ever. Stick in there, you will influence so many peoples lives. GOd love you so much.

Sassy Salsa girl said...

I'll add myself to the list of people. Thanks for sharing Tahsha :)

Anonymous said...

Tash, thanks for posting this you are truly an amazimg person, Brad was so great, as me and kurt talk daily about this, kurt has expressed how his life if forever changed we do want to live better each day, I still think and pray for you and leah daily, I actually came to visit you today me and the kids had a treat for you and leah I could not catch you at home or the shop,hopefully some other time

Nick and Amera said...

Incredible. Thank you for posting such a personal and great tribute about Brad. I didnt know him, but Nick appreciated him for the friend and person that he was to him. I loved your advise and will apply it to my life--thank you so much for sharing! Your experiences will give you strength and you will be a beacon for others. Mark my words, you will be able to use your experience to help lift others and carry thier burdens because you have been there. I can speak from experience that Having someone you love so much on the other side of the veil is hard. It brings a whole new meaning to life---and it makes you work hard to get back to that person. Choices always have mattered, but NOW they really DO matter. Death now holds real power in your life and yes, you have always lived the gospel but now you will live it in its truest sense. Thankfully, like you said, you have the gospel because with as hard as it is and will always be, things will fall smoothely into place because of the Gospel. From my experience with death, I will share with you, that When things get harder and not easier, just remember that that is a good thing. That means Brad was the excellent husband and father that he was supposed to be. Its important for you to miss him, mourn his loss and miss his presence. Again, Speaking from my experience,(and everyone is different)im not sure its ever supposed to get easier....because we love those who pass before us SO much. I know I dont know you very well, but im Sending you lots of love....
Amera

{Jamey} said...

Thanks for that... that was beautiful and so true. Life is too short to have any regrets or bad feelings towards anyone in your life. Brad was an excellent example of how to live your life and maybe that's why it was his time... he had nothing left to prove. He was to be an example to all of his friends and family. We pray for you and Leah often and hope nothing but the best for you both.

Brittney said...

What an amazing tribute/post about your husband. He was an amazing person, but so are you!! I know you don't know me personally (I'm one of the many that knew Brad), but I think about you and your little one often. Everything you said is so true and you are very lucky to be Brad Ford's wife! What a strong person you are to be able to write all of that and share it with us. Thank you!

ash & diz said...

Tahsha, I read this post early this morning and I've been thinking all day what I should write in response... So many things in this post touched me to the core. I cannot tell you how much I look up to you and Brad. You are an INCREDIBLE mother, wife, and person. I can only hope that one day I can be as good of a mother as you. Brad was a lucky man to have found you, and know he adored you and loved you very much. I know Sundance and I have been thinking about our life together, our goals, wanting to start a family, (the list goes on and on) since Brad's death. It's crystal clear to us now that there is little value in waiting for the "right time". Like Brad, we've got to live life to fullest, right now, not later. Please know that I think about you and Leah everyday and are keeping you girls in my prayers. we love you very much!

Jo Schaffer Layton said...

This is beautiful. Thanks so much for sharing.
"Life can change completely with one gust of wind."
Powerful words.
What an amazing reminder you have given me-- to try to do it right.
xoxo Love you.

B.I.B said...

Tahsha,
You don't know me but one of my dear friends is Ashley Urie. I just wanted to tell you how inspiring your story is and how many lives you have touched. You are so brave and I want to thank you for being the kind of woman that you are. Keep faith, you will be with your beloved husband again, and he will be waiting and watching over you. God Bless....I hope you don't mind but I have shared your post on my blog...it truly is a touching moment...and we ALL need a reminder!

Thank you.
Ashley Mitchell
Blessings in a Basket

Michelle said...

Tahsha, you're such a special person. Heavenly Father must think very highly of you to give you this incredible trial. Your courage through this is awe-inspiring. Thank you for imparting such wisdom. It helps bring perspective to my life.

Thank you.

Stacey said...

Tahsha,
You are such an amazing person!! What a great tribute to Brad! He was so lucky to have you as his wife! I to want to try and live life to the fullest and have no regrets! We continue to pray for you and Leah!! We love you!

Andrea :) said...

Tahsha,
I could barely finish reading this post because of the tears in my eyes. You are such a sweet example of a wonderful wife and mother. "Thank you" seems so inadequate to say, yet, I want you to know I really mean it when I say so. Thank you for teaching me how to be a better person and live with no regrets. I love you dearly and will always be here for you. I'm so grateful families are forever. You are in my thoughts and prayers daily. Love ya!

TJ and Stephanie said...

It still does seem so surreal even to me. I know this is hard, but here you are writing such powerful words to help and inspire other people. You are amazing Tahsha. I am so lucky to have you for my sister. Thank you for sharing, for reminding me what life truly is about. Family is my everything and I never want to forget that. I am so greatful for the knowledge we share that families are forever. It is hard to try and comprehend eternity. Earth life seems like such a long span, but it really isn't. Brad is yours always, Forever! What an amazing thought. I love you Tahsha, I am here for you for anything! If you said to me, I need a break let's leave for the weekend, my bags would be packed in an hour. If you said let's just go out for the day and play, I would drop everything and go. If you said will you please come live with me, we would in a heartbeat. Please know we are here. Please don't hesitate to ask.
You have shared something very close very personal, but you have touched many through your words. Thank you Tahsha.

Amy said...

Tahsha,
Thank you. That was just so beautifully said and it touched my heart. I look at you and I am amazed at your strength. Brad is a wonderful man and YOU are his equal! May the Lord continue his blessings upon you and Leah and may you always feel His love for you!

Much love,
Amy Phelps

Emily said...

I've read this a couple times now and it brings tears to my eyes. Thank you for sharing. I echo what others have said.

I've been thinking so much lately about the blessings in my life and having you as my friend is definitely one of them. You are incredible!

Vanessa said...

Tahsha, you have been in my heart and mind a lot lately. I think of you so often and hope with everything in me that all the tender mercies of God are upon you and Leah. Wow, Brad was a lucky man..you are a great wife to him and he was an amazing man as well. I know without a doubt that he will be with you and Leah for the next while, until he goes to perform those duties our Father in Heaven needed his incredible spirit to fulfill.
I love you Tahsha and my heart is with you.

~Maria said...

Thank you so much for posting this. You are an amazing woman, and I hope you know how much I look up to and respect you. The things you said touched my heart. I am so lucky to call you family and so grateful for your good example. I have gained so much from reading this. Thank You. I love you so much! My thoughts and prayers are with you. Love you so much!

Lauralee said...

Tahsha, thank you for inspiring me to be better-more like Brad. Brad was an amazing man. Thank you for letting me get to know him a little better, and thank you being such an amazing person too! Brad knew what he was doing when he picked you! You are strong and I'm so glad you are my friend. I love you!