Thursday, June 23, 2011

Father's Day

I know I’m late. But I want to write this anyway.


Let me start off by mentioning Brad. {of course}


Five days before he died, Brad took Leah on a Daddy Daughter date.


Leah loved her Daddy Daughter dates!


She always asked for simple things, like going to the gas station to get a bug juice, or playing a puzzle.


This time they went and got a bug juice on the way to Birdseye. Brad needed to get something for his up coming trip to the Henry’s. {Yup. That trip.}

They came home and played a little puzzle, then like most Daddy daughter dates, they ended by making a fort and snuggling while they watched a movie. (Brad fell asleep like always-I never knew how he could sleep on the floor like that.)



In the year before his accident, Brad changed a little. He stepped up as a Daddy and a Husband. I think he really understood the importance of that job and put a lot more effort into it then he ever did before. Maybe that is one of God’s tender mercies–Inspiring a man to make the last year of his life the best one yet.


He was a wonderful Dad. I’m so grateful for that and so sad that Leah won’t ever really know him.


Right now, though, I want to mention all the other men in our lives.

My Dad. My Father-in-law. My brothers. My brother-in-laws. Our uncles. Our neighbors and friends.


They’ve checked so many things off my {Brad’s} honey-do list, things I didn’t even care that got done, they just did. They see a need and fill it.


They cared for Leah, making sure that she has strong, caring good men as an example to her.


They’ve slept on my couch when I was too scared to be alone. They’ve taken care of so many of the thousands of things I’ve had to deal with since loosing Brad.


I seriously couldn’t have done this without them.


Loosing Brad has left a gaping void in our lives in so many ways. I don’t think it will ever be fully filled. (It’s Brad. Who can fill those shoes?) But these men are trying as hard as they can. I’m so grateful and I believe that one day, these men will get to face him and he will tell them how grateful he is that they’re taking care of his wife and daughter.


Happy Father’s Day to any one who’s been a Dad in any way.

2 comments:

Heather Davies said...

You brought tears to my eyes when you said that Brad would thank your family for what they've done. I absolutley believe that that's true! It is so wonderful that you have such an amazing and supportive family to get you through.

Liz said...

Tahsha,
What a beautiful tribute to the men in your life who are your "angels" on this earth! When I was reading this post, it reminded me of the talk Jeffery R. Holland gave at conference in 2008, called, The Ministry of Angels. I actually just listened to it the other day and think that if you haven't heard it lately - you might just love it. We truly are NOT left alone through the challenges we have to go through... and you are proof of that, through this beautiful post! Thank you so much for sharing it.