For some strange reason, the year mark has been like a goal for me. I don’t get it. It’s not like something would be different once I’ve gone through 365 days. It’s not like things would change or he’d come back or this would be over. But all the same, I’ve been looking ahead to this day for a long time. Both with excitement and nervousness.
“Just get though the day. Just get through the month. Just get through December (December was a month from H-E-L….you get it. Probably one of the hardest months I’ve had since February.) Just get through the year.” But what was I thinking would come after it?
Another year, I guess.
I’ve done all the ‘firsts.’ Birthdays, anniversaries, trips, specials places, special events. They can’t be as hard the second time around, right?
I can’t believe how much has changed, and how much I’ve accomplished in one year.
A few weeks after Brad died, I remember sitting on the couch with papers spread all over the place, making a list (me and my lists.) I called it “The Big Ole To Do list.”
It was a giant list of all the things I had to do. It included things like, call the insurance companies, call the banks, sell the horses, sell most of the ‘toys,’ sell his truck, sell my house. MOVE.
At the time, I was SO overwhelmed at the tasks in front of me. All the crap I had do to. And now? It’s almost all done. Holy cow, I got a lot accomplished this year.
Things have changed so much. Relationships with friends and family have changed, most for the better. But some, sadly, have fallen away. Life is just so different. The sign shop has changed and grown so much and I couldn’t be happier about it.
But mostly, I’ve changed. I’m not the same person I was a year ago. Not at all. I think if you told that girl that she would be living alone and sleeping well, she’d laugh at you. If you told her all the things she would accomplish, mostly on her own, and the strengths she’d gain, she wouldn’t believe it.
I think about who I was, how awful I felt after it first happened. It seemed like torture to feel that way. Mostly, I was terrified that I’d always feel that way. I would search out other widows–I wanted to see someone who’d been through it and was okay. I needed proof that one day, I wouldn’t be such a mess. Occasionally though, I’d meet someone who had been a widow for a long time and was still not okay. That would terrify me.
I read something on a blog somewhere, (I wish I knew where so I could give credit to it) It was a section of dialogue from a movie. It said something to the effect:
“It changes.” (speaking of grief.) “It never leaves, or goes away, it just changes. Most of the time, it’s like a rock that I have to keep it my pocket. It’s always there. Sometimes, its annoying, but it’s usually easy to live with. Then sometimes I get very aware of the rock and I pull it out of my pocket. And it becomes a huge boulder that crushes me. Then, after a while, I can change it back to a small rock a put it back in my pocket.”
It has gotten so much better though. I think I’ve admitted here that I’m not a cute, teary-eyed cryer. I’m a massive break-down bawl baby.
At first, I would have a melt down every few hours or so. Then, it would be more like once a day and I thought I was doing pretty good. Then it went to a melt down every few days, and I was encouraged. It kept getting better and better. Now, I’ll go for weeks at a time doing just fine. Even having great days most of the time. I still think about him all the time, almost subconsciously every moment of everyday. It gets easier and those moments don’t hurt so much anymore. Sometimes, they even make me happy.
I guess if I can survive this year, I can get through a second, then a third….. And on a on.
It’s hard to move on. It’s a weird feeling, like someone is pulling both arms the opposite directions. Mostly, I’m excited to move on, to make some changes and start a new chapter-I’ve felt like this year has been such a “limbo” period. But, it’s also sad because moving on feels like moving away from Brad. Moving out of his house, selling his stuff, cleaning out his closet, even the idea of dating. (yes. Dating. Maybe I’ll talk about it on here. Maybe not.) It all feels like I’m moving away from him. And I don’t want to do that. It’s a tricky balance of emotions to play with. Something I think will take some time to sort out and deal with.
One thing is for sure. I never, ever would’ve survived this year without all of you. My family and friends are the angles that have gotten me through and allowed me to still be a happy person. I love you all.
And, of course, my Savior has been at my side, giving me strength when I need it and comfort all the time.
I guess I’ll look forward to another year!
notice I said ‘look forward to another year’ not ‘get through another year’ ? Things are getting better :)
This is a poem my Dad wrote. I never knew my writing skills ran in the family.
I've walked thru four seasons
Longed to see his face
Prayed in faith for relief
Quietly waiting for God's grace
Still searching for a closeness
And trying to heal
Of his continued existence
Still trying to feel
We'll all walk on
Through our seasons of strife
Not forgetting his touch
Remembering his life
The last of the firsts
I hope we have seen
Of heartache and sorrow
And lonely night dreams
15 comments:
I think that you are so amazing. I read your blog all the time, but I really struggle with finding the right thing to say to make you feel better. I know that there is really nothing that can make it feel better, but like you said as time passes it gets easier. I'm so glad that we did get some time to hang out with you and Brad before be passed because as long as we knew him he never seemed happier then when he was with you. :) You are awesome and we will continue to pray for you and Leah and to both of you finding peace again :)
Thanks for another great post i truly love reading you're blog. You are an amazing person We will continute to pray for you and youre family, brad will always be missed by all, I hope we can get together soon love jennica
You are the strongest person I know. I've been thinking a lot about you and your little girly, especially today. Know that you're in my prayers.
Your dad's poem was so wonderful. Thank you for sharing that.
It would be this post would it??.. http://ginnyhill.blogspot.com/2011/06/just-getting-out-from-under-boulder.html
If so, thanks for reading me! No one reads my blog anymore. If not, sorry for being nosy!
And I'll agree with everyone else. You've handled it all amazingly. (My mom reads your blog and love it. She asked me if I wrote something like that.)
I can't believe it's been a year. You are an amazing woman, tahsh. You are such a strength to me. I love you, friend.
You are so inspiring to me. Thank you! I'm thinking of you and praying for you always. Love you!
You're on my mind often, but I never know what to say. I think you truly are one of the strongest women I have had the privaledge to know. Just last Friday I was retelling the Seattle story of the big hairy spider... I left out all the embarrassing info - mostly for my sake.
I'm glad you're doing so well. I often look to you for strength, even though I should be trying to give it to you. Funny how the world works.
I thought about you all day yesterday and I am so glad to hear that you are "looking forward" to the next year. You are amazing Tausha!!!
I read this quote a few months ago and it made me think so much about you:
"The most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss, and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity, and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, and a deep loving concern. Beautiful people do not just happen." -Elizabeth Kubler Ros
You're not just a survivor Tahsh, you're a warrior! You are tougher than anything that gets thrown your way. I truly admire you and your strength.
I love you and I know you can take on year 2 with everything and more!
Tahsha, another incredible post with an incredible attitude! I know you aren't perfect, but I am just so proud of you. You give me strength. Thank you for sharing this difficult journey with us. Hooray for a year done.
Tahsha, I have been thinking of you and saying silent prayers for you every day for the past week. Honestly there is probably not a day that goes by I don't think of you. You are a warrior just like Steph said, she said it perfect!! I admire your strength and that you share your thoughts and feelings with us. I hope this year brings you and Leah so much joy and happiness, you deserve it. I know it can't be easy moving on and making changes but I know Brad wants his girls to be happy. I'm sure he is watching and helping you each step of the way. Love you lots!! xoxox
I have had you in my thoughts all week knowing the one year mark was approaching. I will never forget the look on Codys face when he walked in the house after running to the store for me. I had never seen him so distraught and upset.It still does not seem real or fair to you or your families that he was taken from this earth at such a young age. I am sure that goes through your mind constantly but you have showed me how to be strong and take one day at a time and that it is ok to show your raw emotions. I hope this next year finds you great happiness because you and Leah deserve a break. You continue to be in our prayers.
what an accomplishment! it's amazing how strong you can become when being strong is really the only choice you have. i love that quote about grief. it is so incredibly accurate. thank you for sharing!
I feel the same about the year mark. I have no idea why???? Maybe it's like you said--getting through all those firsts.
I think you are remarkable. I hope to function even half as well as you are!
I asked if you were in Utah County because I just don't know any young widows. I just wish I knew someone in my same boat in real life, raising kids and all that good stuff--'y know??
My email is wenderdude dot com. I would love to chat with you more sometime--since we just comment back and forth on each other's blogs!! But, that is good too!
ok, apparently I am having brain fog again because I didn't put my email right!
it is:wenderdude@gmail dotcom
Hope you have a great day today, Tahsha!
Post a Comment