Saturday, September 17, 2011

Wounds


For a long time now I’ve felt a need to write my experiences during the time of Brad’s death and his funeral. I know I’ll want to look back on it one day. I know Leah will want to understand. I don’t want to forget. 
For now though, it’s so very easy to put that off. 
Of course, I’m a crazy woman and feel like my plate is constantly overflowing, but mostly, I don’t like doing anything that causes me pain. 
See, I’ve discovered how to lock my grief away and forget about it. (I’m not talking about any illegal substances here, just so we’re clear.) Sometimes I have to fight it to stay in that nice little cage. Sometimes it cooperates and other times it fights back with a vengeance. (uh….did anyone see me two Sundays ago?) 
But, I know that bottling up all my emotions is not the healthiest thing to do, for me or any others that might be affected when I explode and spill molten hot crazy all over them. 
It’s like a wound, I’ve decided. It not only has to heal. It has to heal properly. 
I remember listening to my aunt and uncle a few years ago as they shared what it was like to deal with a three year old with third degree burns all over her back. (Really sad story. Let’s just say, who ever decided that it was a good idea to give toddlers little sparkling sticks of fire and tell them to run and wave it around was seriously looney.) 
I remember my aunt saying that they had to scrub her burns in the bath tub. Can you imagine how much that must’ve hurt her? How sad for her parents to listen to her scream? Heartbreaking. 
If they had just left it, like I’m sure that three year old wanted them to, eventually that wound would’ve probably healed all on it’s own. But it wouldn’t have healed right. It would’ve had lots of problems. Infection, disfiguration, and probably more pain, because a doctor would eventually have to fix the improper healing. 
So they scrubbed. 
And the burn healed–the right way. It took a while, and I can’t imagine it was easy. But now that burn that used to run from her neck to her hips and rib cage to rib cage, is a small scar. (Some of that is because she’s all grown up and like….11 or something. She’s so cute and the coolest 11 something year old too, by the way.) 
I think grief is like that. Something’s happened that causes a giant wound to rip through us. It’s overwhelming painful at first. We don’t think we can suffer through it, but as time goes on, we start to heal. But we have to do it the right way or eventually, we’ll realize that that wound we thought was all better, really isn’t. 
And then...molten hot crazy. 
Writing down my experience is like scrubbing the wound. I need to do it. They’re are lots of things I need to do to help my wound heal. 
So if you happen to see me a little...off...just know that I’m allowing my little monster out of his cage. Hopefully, he doesn’t freak out on you. 

5 comments:

The Plum Verbena said...

You can do it Tahsh. You're one of the strongest people I know, and you will get through this whole grief/healing process. Love you!

Heather Davies said...

Tahsha, I love how honest you are! It is so hard to be honest...especially with ourselves. Sometimes you think you're strong enough to do it by yourself, but I'm so glad that you're choosing to share your experiences with others. We are growing from what you share. I wish I could be there with you! Not thinking that I could fix things, but I just wish I could be a supporter while you go through this! Miss you and pray for your happiness!

Sassy Salsa girl said...

How is it possible that I feel the same way, but for no reason at all! You are AMAZING Tahsha! I love you! Just know you can always be crazy in front of me, I won't judge ;D

Nick and Amera said...

Your taking a great leap of faith! You can always let the monster out with me :) you know im avail if you ever need anyone to lean on. I feel like I always offering that to you, but I dont want to seem annoying, I just want you to know that im here if you need me. Grieving is so hard. Its difficult and its painful. I do the same thing, (different situations of course) I avoid it because I know i'll cry and cause pain to myself. No one looks forward to a day of pure hell and why would we ever want to look forward to that?? Seriously. But im here if you ever need anything at all. My therapist has given me a great idea though, to write the person a letter you are grieving over.....I havent tried it yet....because i avoid the pain of doing so....but it seems like it is a good step to healing.... Anyway, Love ya and am here if you need me of if you need somewhere for Leah to play for a day!

WENDY said...

I really liked this thought. It makes a lot of sense to me.