Sunday, October 2, 2011

Working on the projects.

I’ve already tackled the garage and both his sheds. This weekend, I finally bit the bullet and tackled Brad’s downstairs room. 
(Just to clarify, this isn’t a bedroom where I would banish Brad when he was being bad. Just a spare room that was full of his stuff. )
He had A LOT of stuff. 
I never really realized how much there was, because I never had to deal with it. As long as it all fit in that room and the door could close, I didn’t care. Digging through his room (not to mention his two sheds and giant garage) I realized that I never should’ve allowed him to tease me about the twenty different bags I have or all my shoes or jewelry. 
Some people have a few hobbies. Brad had dozens. And each of those hobbies requires LOTS. OF. STUFF. 
Snowboarding. Golfing. Fishing.(all types) Fly tying. Music. Bullet reloading. Hunting–archery, rifle, bird, muzzleloader and shed. Roping. Riding. Horse training. Trapshooting. Snowmobiling. Motorcycle riding. Four-wheeling. Flying. 
Not to mention taking care of the yard and farming. 
He had all the equipment and clothes to do all of these activities at any given season. For two people.
I don’t mind. I’m so glad that he had so many hobbies. He had so much fun. 
But it did leave me with a lot of work to do. 
It wasn’t as bad as I thought, though. 
My Dad and brothers came and helped with the sheds. We filled my Dad’s horse trailer with a load of garbage. 
I chose to tackle the downstairs room during the conference weekend, so I could have something uplifting and spiritual to listen to while I worked to help distract me. It was a good idea. Conference was amazing. I felt like so many things were meant for me. 
And really, it wasn’t too bad, because I didn’t get rid of too much stuff. Yet. I just dejunked, decided what I was going to keep, and organized it so my family would be able to come go through it. 
Things would catch me though. Finding the bag that he had with him on that fateful trip. There were some clothes there I hand’t found yet. And, for the first time ever, a piece of clothing finally smelled like him. I’d been trying to find his smell for months. It took me a long time to get back to work once I did.  
Even though what I was throwing away was mostly junk (seriously, I found half eaten granola bars and bottles of gatorade in his backpacks) every time I took a box of stuff to the garbage, it was like I was getting rid of a piece of him. I know these are just things. But they were his. It was a part of him. Each item represented who he was. And I was cleaning it out in the process of getting of rid of it all. Yeah. That hurts. (But we’re scrubbing the wound, remember?)  
It did hit me hard when I finally had to deal with a box of shoes. I cleaned them out of the garage a while ago, but couldn’t face getting rid of them. What was I supposed to do with a box of old, worn, dirty shoes? There was nothing to do, but get rid of them. 

Leah, being the compassionate little girl she is, literally dropped her Barbie and ran to me when she saw me on my knees crying. She hugged me. When she asked what was wrong, I told her that I missed Daddy, and I was sad that I had to get rid of his shoes. She said, “We don’t have to get rid of them.” I told her that we did. “But Mom, what will we smash spiders with?” Hugging me, she thought for a minute and said, “maybe we should keep one boot for a spider smasher.” I laughed and told her that was a great idea. 
So, meet our new spider smasher. 




It wasn’t an uneventful project though. There was a nasty snake in the corner of his bedroom. A SNAKE!!!!!! In the house!!! Gratefully, my little brother came and saved me or I wouldn’t have been able to work at all the rest of the day.
Going through all his stuff has been one of those things that has been looming over my head for the past 7+ months. It sucks to have to do. It sucks to face the reality. But I’m really glad that I did it. Really glad that it’s done, I guess I should say. I still have more to do. Hard things. But, I can do them. I know I can. 

6 comments:

Heather Davies said...

Tahsha, that sounds so difficult! Glad that you had family there helping you (and to save you from that snake--YIKES!). You continue to inspire me with your strength.

The Plum Verbena said...

I read this with tears in my eyes, knowing how hard and painful this task must be. But, you did it!! You are doing all the hard things. And, I love your new spider smasher, maybe you could market those. Add a cute little tag or something. He he. Love you.

Lauren said...

Tahsha, you are amazing. I thought of you during conference too. I hope you know how amazing and strong you are. Despite everything you are going through, you go through it with such faith and strength. You are such and amazing example.

Nick and Amera said...

Your so awesome to confront the hard part of mourning. Its very difficult. Again, I know its not the same, but when my mom passed, we yard saled some of her stuff and just gave things away.... even though it was all ugly old grandma stuff or old ugly creepy dolls...it was still HER STUFF. Its hard to let go of those items, especially when we finally realize how valuable those items become now that a person is not here on earth. We keep those items as a reminder!! Its so hard to not get rid of the crap, so I totally understand the hard part of parting with his stuff! but its a brilliant idea to keep the boot as a smasher! AWESOME! Keep your head up. I cant believe how awesome you are. I'd love to meet up sometime :) It would be nice to finally meet you! LIfe is crazy right now, but seriously, when we both find a little time, we should meet :) Keep up the good hard work. I cant believe how many hobbies brad had! That kid was BUSY!!! I think if at all possible, keep his stuff......Its a good thing for Leah to have in the long run :) to have her Dad close to her as she grows up!

Liz said...

I love the way your little girl thinks! You've definitely got to have a spider smasher! :) She's such a sweetie! This post brought tears to my eyes.

Cody and Tracie Bradford said...

Once again you had me in tears! I thought of you listening to conference and wished we were there to help you out. Cody will be in town this week for a day and a half and if you need him to do anything for you please don't hesitate to call him. The kids and I are coming in June and I would love to get together! You are amazing!