Thursday, October 6, 2011

Wild Mountain Skies

Notice that I changed things around here? I decided it was time.


I knew I had to change the title. “The Ford Family Brad, Tahsha and Aingeleah” just seemed like I was lying to myself.


It took me a long time to decide what to title my blog to. I didn’t want to change it to The Ford Family: Tahsha and Leah. That’s too pathetic. And something dumb like Diaries of a Widow is...dumb.


So I landed on Wild Mountain Skies.


While were putting Brad’s funeral program together (horrible thing to do by the way) we found this scrapbook page I’d made for Brad a few years back and it was perfect. The words of the poem were perfect too.


Give him a fire in his heart

Give him a light in his eyes

Give him the wild wind for a brother

And the wild mountain skies


(the lyrics are from John Denver’s song with one word change)


So it became the theme for Brad. It was on the cover of his program. It’s engraved on his headstone. It’s been used on pictures of Brad that my family and I have in our homes.


As time went on, the meaning of those simple words stared to change.


For me, when I think of the term Wild Mountain Skies, I don’t just think of a man who loved to be out in the mountains more than anywhere in the world. I think of a man who had a passion for his goals and aspirations, who had devotion to the things that mattered most to him, who didn’t waste time dreaming. He went out, worked hard and achieved it! It really embodies the way that he lived his life.


My goals and my desires for my life have changed because of the way that Brad lived his. I want this blog to help me to encompass that everyday. For Brad, that sort of zeal came naturally. He lived everyday to the fullest. For me, I have to work harder to fight off all the the weaknesses I have that keep me from reaching my goals and my dreams.


I’m still planning on sharing the experiences I have in this weird new life without Brad. But I don’t want it to be one of those widow blogs where every post depressing. (Don’t worry, some of them still will be.) I’m trying to figure out how to not let my grief consume me, and though I have no idea what life has in store for me, I’m want to make it a great one. I want to constantly keep the inspiration that I and many others felt in the weeks following Brad’s death in my life everyday.


Remember this post?


So, Wild Mountain Skies it is!

11 comments:

Heather Davies said...

Your blog looks amazing. Change is so difficult. I think as humans we typically resist it because it is easier to stay the same. But, I know Brad is so proud of you for continuing to work through and share your experiences. You are such an inspiration!

Ford said...

I love it! I am still a faithful reader though I don't comment as much anymore. I think about you guys all the time and hope all {three} of you are doing well.

ginacrotts.jamberrynails.net said...

I am in awe of you! your strength is inspiring and I love the 'new' blog.

*WEST* said...

You always seem to say something in your post that I need to hear! Love the new look! Miss you!

Nick and Amera said...

I looooove the header!!! How dang cute!!! Im totally loving this blog and your writtings, you are such an amazing person to me! I cant wait to read ahead through time--im addicted to your blog :)I love the new do and the new 'life' of the blog. Keep up the good hard work, your fabulous!

Annie said...

You are such an inspiration to me! Love the new blog title and the new pictures of you and Leah. You are both so beautiful. I hope you guys are doing well. I love reading your blog!

TJ and Stephanie said...

Good new change for the blog, I like it. I like the title too, it fits perfectly.

Liz said...

Wow. Just wow. It seems like everything you touch turns to gold. :) I have a digital SLR that I've had for years... years... and I still have no idea how to take such beautiful pictures that you took on your walk. In fact, I'm enrolled in a community class right now just to learn how to use the dang thing! ha ha! ;) Glad you spoiled yourself! You deserve it! Your blog is beautiful.

Alicia Smith said...

I love the changes on your blog. It's beautiful. Thanks for keeping your blog going - it makes me feel connected with you, even though we are so far away.

The Hills said...

Oh my gosh, I love this!! It took me for-ev-er to change mine, so yay for you! And I love all of it. (Totally agree about those widow branded blogs btw :))

And isn't it so odd how something kind of random can take on a whole new meaning when someone is gone?? Like songs that you liked before, you just love so much more. Or pictures don't just capture a moment, they get the essence of that person. The meaning of everything just shifts. Sheesh, I could talk about it forever.

Anyway, I think of you often, and I think you're amazing!

Lauralee said...

I think it's perfect! You and Brad inspire me to be better too. The blog looks lovely!!