Sunday, February 5, 2012

Mourning with those who mourn

So, recently I was able to really understand the real meaning behind these words.

I’ve always heard that our trails allow us to understand and have more compassion for others who suffer.

At first, I don’t think that was the case for me. In fact, I found myself with very little patience for people’s whiny, small problems. (sorry, friends.)

I remember one time, not long after Brad passed away, I was listening to some friends as they complained–One about how awful it was having to walk all over Lagoon and it was really hot and the kids were out of the control, and the other about how they had to take their kids swimming all by themselves and how frantic and crazy they felt and didn’t even have a second to themselves all day and the other about how money was too tight to take the kids out to eat.


I sat there, biting my lip to keep from shouting, and trying to change the subject to keep from crying. I wanted to yell at them:

“Oh you poor girls. What a horrible day you had! Do you know what I did today? I got to go see the broken, shattered wreck of a plane that my husband was killed in before they took it for scraps. And then after that, I got to go shopping to pick out a headstone for my husband. Then I went home with my three year old daughter and ate dinner by myself.

Do you want to keep complaining now?”


Of course, I didn’t say anything. I just smiled and kept to myself and cried in the car. (someone has to help me get it through my head that the car does not make me invisible and people can still see me sobbing because the glass is see-through.)

(Sorry if the friends that I’m talking about happen to read this. I’m totally over it and love your stinkin’ faces forever.)


But, thankfully, as time when on, I was able to change and not be such a . . . Meany face.


So, last December, after coming down from the after-math of my sweet cousin’s death just a few weeks before, our little friend Britton died from what seemed to be a simple case of the flu. He was only seven and the autopsy showed something more serious, lesions on his liver, or something. (At least, I think that’s what it was. I don’t want to state it like it’s a fact in case I’m wrong.)

My heart was broken into pieces.

But I couldn’t quite figure out why. I didn’t know the little boy that well. I didn’t know his family too well. He’s my cousins’ cousin. My Aunt’s nephew on the other side. He’s my Dad’s next door neighbor. I’d met him a few times. He was cute, silly, and told jokes that were only funny because of his lisp and they way that he messed them up.

But his death hurt so much.


As I went through the line at the viewing and I approached the casket that was much too small, I just started to cry. And I realized I was mostly crying for his mother. It broke my heart to see her stand there, clutching the edge of the casket and gently touching her son’s hair. I know what it feels like to stand in that spot. The worst spot ever. I know what it feels like to grab the edge of the casket with all you have just to keep standing.

I hugged her and told her that I was so sorry that she was standing there.


I cried for my Aunt and Uncle who have had too many tragedies this year–Brad, Mariah, Britton, and a few Grandparents.


I hurt for my Dad who loved this little guy and who has suffered his share of tragedies and has had to stand strong through them all.


I just hurt for everyone else because I knew what that hurt felt like and I was so sad they had to feel it too.


It makes me wonder if that’s what the Savior feels. On a much larger scale, of course. He suffered all our pains, hurts, heartaches and guilt. So he truly knows how we feel and is so sad when we suffer through them.


I found myself wanting to going out of my way to do whatever I could for the family. Not because I’m such an amazing person, but because people did it for me and I had to pay it forward. The love and support I got was such a blessing to me, I had to pass it on. I just needed to. I wanted to do so much to help them, a small thing like food seemed so insignificant, but there was not much else I could do or say. I imagine, that’s how many of you felt towards me.


I guess it’s one of those little blessings that come from the trials we face. I’m normally a selfish person and have a hard time being compassionate for what other people are going though. So, this is my own little refiner’s fire. No one ever said the getting tossed in the flames felt good, huh?

4 comments:

Brad said...

Tasha, I've been thinking about you a lot this week, knowing that it has almost been a year since Brad was killed. I really appreciated this post. I've been there twice in the last five years (which sounds like cake compared to your family past last year), yet I still struggle to mourn with and comfort those who need it.I dealt with my own grief differently than many people, and I always want to reach out to others, but never know what is appropriate, particularly based on what your relationship is to them. I just want to say that I admire your courage and appreciate you sharing your raw feelings with the rest of us. Though we've not been very good about reaching out to you, know that we think about you often and pray for your continued healing and comfort. We both appreicate our association with you and Brad. It was great to be with you on New Year's and look forward to another get together.

Nick and Amera said...

This post was well said. Although I have not walked in your shoes, I do know what its like to stand next to a casket but not from a tragedy. I had a hard time sympathizing with others right after my mom died, and I still have a hard time to this day.....
You are learning such a great and valuable and HARD lesson. Its hard to mourn with those who mourn, but at the same time, you, having been there before, wil be able to help those around you with one of the most difficult trials others may have to go through. Its a trial that unless you have been through it, you just dont know how it feels. After my mom passed away, I had a friend write me about 3 years later after she lost her baby. She apologized saying she was sorry for ignoring me and not saying anything because she didnt know how. But now that she has experienced mourning for herself, she can now help those around her. She will never ignore that trial again when it happens to someone else. I dont know if that even made sense..... But over all, its hard to not feel grief for ourselves....to understand that not everyone knows how we're truely feeling or how it feels to 'stand in that place' But I assure you, with the trial you have been given, you can and will be an instrument in the Lords hands to help othes along. You have learned way too much to not be one who helps those who are faced with this trial. You have come out so strong and your views and experiences are incredible to read about. I admire your every step of the way. Love you friend! xoxoxox Alwys thinking about you, especialy this time of year :)

WENDY said...

I am still there sometimes getting annoyed with my friends and acquaintances who whine over "insignificant" things. It is a hard balancing act we do. I don't want my friends to feel like they have to walk on eggshells with me, but at the same time it would be nice to have them realize that a little sensitivity is good too, since I am only a few months into widowhood.

I loved what you said about how much grief and mourning help make us more compassionate to others like the Savior is. It helps me at least find a little purpose and meaning in this suffering we have been asked to endure.

I always love what you write. It is so helpful to me, and so inspiring!

Ivie Family said...

Tasha I feel like I need to say something but as I am sitting here writing I dont know how to say what I feel. I do know that you are a bright wonderful example to me, and having you around during this horrible time in my life seemed to help me in some way. Maybe it is because you knew my pain. Maybe it is because I in someway knew yours, I am not sure. What I do know is that this trial is not easy but I have learned so much about others and the good that is in this world. I have learned how temperary this life is and that it could be forever changed in a blink of an eye. But you know that all too well. When Brad died I wrote you a letter and it sat in my kitchen for months as you know I never walked to over to your dad. I dont remember what I said but I am sure it was something that would not have brought you any comfort or peace because I have found that the comfort and peace we need lies within ourselves and not from others, but I am sure you know that too. I love you and your family very much. I really do. Thank you for your thought and for remembering my little man. Thank you for sharing your memories of him with me. I will never look at Clifford the big red dog the same again. - Britton's Mom